Virginia Annual Conference
York River District
Lower United Methodist Church is steeped in history.
It began its life in 1650 as the “Lower Chapel” for the Protestant Episcopal Church of England. The chapel was replaced by the present brick sanctuary in 1717. It still retains many of its colonial features such as its original hipped roof of which very few exist today. The church survived the Revolutionary War despite being abandoned by the parish. The Baptists and Methodists began to use it. Robert Healy helped the Methodists obtain it from the parish in 1857 and here we have remained. We thank our forefathers for our history, but we know that a church is just a building without loving and caring people who want it to grow.
Our true heritage is our people who, past and present, have opened their arms in welcome and caring. Come join us.